How to request Public Information

Texas Government Code, Section 522, gives you the right to records held by this governmental body. You may ask for copies of governmental records or to review records. Access to these records are governed by the Texas Public Information Act. Exceptions may apply to the public disclosure of certain information.

Governmental bodies shall promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, either constitutional, statutory, or by judicial decision, or information for which an exception to disclosure has not been sought.

Please note, some Elected Officials and appointed members serve as Public Information Officers for their offices. A list of those offices and contact information is included on the Public Information Request and Procedures website

You may be billed in accordance with state laws for the information you have requested.

Birth/Death Certificates, Marriage Licenses, Deeds & other Vital Records

The Texas Public Information Act refers to administrative documents held by the governmental body, such as budgets, correspondence, or payroll information (just to name a few examples).

However, Hidalgo County Open Government Division receives many misguided requests for official recorded information. If you are requesting items such as birth and death certificates, marriage licenses, deeds, copies of wills, Commissioners Court minutes, foreclosures, DBAs or subdivision plats, please contact the Hidalgo County Clerk's Office at (956) 318-2100.

Here are some helpful links on how to obtain various documents:

Judicial and Law Enforcement Records

Law Enforcement Records

For copies of law enforcement records such as jail records, case reports, body cam footage, please refer to the Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office, the city police department, or other law enforcement agency.

Court Documents

Judicial records are not subject to the Public Information Act. 

Access to judicial records (records other than court case records) is governed by Rule 12 of the Rules of Judicial Administration. The custodian of judicial records is usually the judge of the court. Please refer to Rule 12 of the Rules of Judicial Administration for more detailed information on how to request these types of records.